Friday 24 April 2015

Merch for London

As well as the zine, I want to sell a few different items alongside this, and this could not only be a good way to gain some needed exposure, but also a good way to make a little bit of money.
Some of the items I could make include the following.
  • Cards
  • Business Cards
  • Postcards
  • Posters 
  • Prints
  • Original pieces
  • T-Shirts & other apparel
This is a decent list of things I could potentially do, and I am very interested in the ones highlighted in yellow.

I have been looking at ways in which to create items to sell, that balance quality and cost production, which is an important aspect to take into account when selling items you have created.
For items like postcards, it could pay to look at vista print, which currently charge around £2 for 10 postcards. Selling each card at £1.50 would make a profit of £13 for example, and most of the production is on their part.

http://www.vistaprint.co.uk/postcards.aspx?txi=14949&xnid=Postcards&xnav=TopNav#design-options < image reference at this link.
A lot of artists sell merchandise in order to make some quick money, one particular artist who does this that I would wish to highlight, is Caitlin Hackett.

http://society6.com/caitlinhackettart < image reference at this link.
Caitlin Hackett has an account with a service that sells artist merchandise, and some of her items available for sale include prints, phone cases, cards, and tote bags etc.
She has a large following on the site, and she makes a reasonable amount of income from selling merchandise.

Most illustrators need as many different things as possible to sell, in order to bring in a good level of income, so it might pay to get some practise with producing merchandise whilst I am still in academic education.
I will post separate blogs about each route of merchandise I will take, as I think more about what I want to produce, and which items might have the best chance of financial gain.









Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment