Tuesday 7 April 2015

Page #19-20 (Mute Swan)

When I looked at the Mute Swan earlier on in the animal research, I thought about how much the swan is integrated into British culture, due to its association with the royal family.

https://heatherandkyle.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/mute-swan-01.jpg < image reference at this link.
From what I gathered from looking into this beautiful animal, I came to the conclusion that this particular animal is closely embedded into British culture, and since it has ties with the theme of royalty, I thought that the mute swan would be granted a place in the zine easily.
I began work on the Swan, by producing a number of different illustrations of the animal, which can be seen below.





With the Swan having a double page spread, I want to feature quite a few of the illustrations that I have produced, but at a comfortable, uncluttered level.
I straight away wanted to include a bold illustration for page #19, as it was the first page of the double spread to feature the animal, I was really happy with one particular image, which can be seen below.


This illustration seen above I believe works very well on its own, as it is large enough to cover the entire A5 page.
It is also a very striking image, and I like how the graphic background gives a contrasting sense of shadow and depth against the white page.

Like most of the illustrations featured on the zines pages, I used photoshop to enhance the black point of the image, as the scanner tends to wash a bit of the tone out of each image that it copies.

Most of my pages use text, but I really feel that adding text to this image would ruin its simplicity, and would distract the artwork.
Due to this, I decided to look at placing the text on the 20th page, which would continue with the theme of the Mute Swan.
Since I was very happy with page #19, I moved onto focusing my attention on the development of page #20.

Since I felt as if I didn't have an illustration for the last page, that would solely work on its own as part of the last page, I knew that I would have to use two or more in order to make the page look more full, and more appealing to the reader.

In the end I decided to use these 2 Swan illustrations, one of a Gosling, and one of an adult Swan.
Alongside these, is the depiction of a Swan egg, so this page actually has a slight educational element to it, as it depicts the creature in 3 different phases, foetus inside the egg, baby, and adult.


I was planning on adding text to this page, but I felt that adding text would ruin the simple layout of the design.
If I decided to change my mind on the cutting of the cultural language, I knew that I could always revisit the last page, and add some text. If I decide to do this, I will update this blogpost.













Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment