Wednesday 22 April 2015

Page #14 (Brown rat)

The brown rat, like the black rat, is not only one of the UK's most common species, but also one of the worlds most common.
The rat is one of the few animals that can adapt to many different climates, and because of this, this animal is widespread across many of the worlds continents.

I illustrated a number of Rats in order to pick the best ones in order to use for the 14th page, and these can be seen below.
The majority of these illustrations I am not happy with, which is why a few of them are unfinished, and abandoned.





Out of these Illustrations, I picked only 1 of them.
For page 14, I opened adobe photoshop and created a new canvas at an a5 size.
I then scanned this particular illustration into the program, (image below).



With the image scanned in, I enhanced the black tone, and made sure that the image fit perfectly on the page, using the software's helpful guides to direct the placement of the image.

Photoshop has some very helpful guides built into to the software.
I began to think about the folklore element behind the rat at this point, and when it came to this side all I could think about was the Black Plague, disease, and the fact that this animal is considered a pest by many. I did not want to shine this bad light on the rat, as I felt that it would be unfair to highlight only the negative aspect of the species.

Due to the majority of folklore being based on negative, and common association, I decided that it would perhaps be more interesting to look at the traits of the animal, in a similar way to how I applied this to the Dormouse.


The Rat has many various traits. It is small, agile, quite smart, infectious, common, and they are also good climbers and can feast off almost anything it can scavenge.
They are basically survivors, which made me coin the wording found below, and I used watercolour paint to create this typography, like the other pages that contain wording.


I thought that this was a good way to sum up the animal via text, and so I decided to go with this, and apply it to the design.
I made sure that the text was inline with the illustration, and  then I adjusted the colour of the typography by going into the CYMK settings.












Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment