Thursday 23 April 2015

Page #10 (Rabbit)

For page #10 of the zine, I have decided to feature the Rabbit.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a5/European_Rabbit,_Lake_District,_UK_-_August_2011.jpg < image reference at this link.
I have an admiration for rodents, and I'm sure by now, who ever is reading this for grading, can see my interest in rodents.
My interest in this particular classification of animals is the biggest reason that I decided to give the Rabbit a double page spread.
For the Rabbit, I produced a number of illustrations, and of course like all of the other animals, I will pick the illustrations that I see working, and would be proud to showcase.







Out of these illustrations, I am only truly happy with of them.
For page #10, I wanted to use the illustration that I will display below, as I was really happy with how I illustrated the Rabbit in this pose.

The image I decided to use for page #10
I began working on the actual page by creating a new a5 canvas in photoshop, and after scanning the first illustration in at a high DPI, I place the design to fit a large portion of the page.
I darkened the illustration to compensate for the laser washing some of the tone out, and changed to colour of the eye to grey, in order to shift focus to the entire image, not just the once black eye, which I felt was too bold and eye-catching.

The enhanced illustration in photoshop.
I then turned my attention toward focusing on the folklore of the Rabbit, and I looked at a few helpful websites in order for me to get a good understanding of the culture of the Rabbit.
I came across one particular folklore tale, of the Rabbit on the Moon.

http://www.mexicolore.co.uk/images-1/127_01_2.jpg < image reference at this link.
http://truefaith7.hubpages.com/hub/moon-rabbit < image reference at this link.
This particular folklore stood out to me, and so I looked deeper into it, and decided that it would be the one that I would like to choose.
I never noticed the 'Rabbit on the Moon' in all of the years I have looked at it, so I found this folklore myth very interesting to look into.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/Full_Moon_as_Seen_From_Denmark.jpg < image reference at this link.
After looking into this folklore, it becomes very easy to see the 'Rabbit on the moon'.
I started to think of ways to reflect this folklore, however not in a way that was blatantly obvious.
I though about the fact that there are craters on the Moon, and that they almost look like burrows from Earth.
This allowed me to find a connection between the folklore, and the Moon, in a way that was subtle.
"CRATERS ARE RABBIT HOLES", was the term that I coined to connect the two in a non-obvious way, and I thought that it had a nice connection.

The painted typography.
The finished 10th page featuring the Rabbit.
I am very happy with not only the presentation of the 10th page, but also the merging of illustration, and folklore.










Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment