Thursday 23 April 2015

Page #15 (European Perch)

For page 15, I originally wanted to give to the rat, as part of a double page spread for pages 14 and 15. However, I decided to include more marine animals, and so I wanted to cut the double page spread short, and designate the rat to just one page, whilst allowing for a more diverse range of animals.

Due to my success with page 12 and 13, I wanted to include another fish since I had a lot of fun illustrating this particular species, and so after looking up British native fish, I ended up taking an interest in the Perch.

https://coloradooutdoorsmag.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/ice_perch001.jpg < image reference at this link.
To start off the assembly of the page, I created a new a5 canvas in photoshop, and took a look at an illustration that I was happy with.

The new canvas ready to be the base for the 15th page.

The illustration above, took about 2 hours to fully complete, and I was really proud of how I created it.
Since the Perch only needed one page to be featured, I thought that one illustration would be enough.

I first scanned the illustration into Adobe Photoshop, and place it central to the image.
After placement, I tweaked the colour to give it a golden tone, which allowed it to appear aged.
I added the Latin name of the species, to make it look like a scientific illustration.
I thought that the design looked really good without the need of adding any wording, such as folklore of the highlighting of traits, so I decided to leave the page as is.














Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment