Monday 26 January 2015

My illustrative practises

Over the past few modules, I have been tweaking, discovering, and refining my style more and more.
I now feel that I am at the point where I know what my general style is, and I can adapt my ideas around my skill set.

I work pretty much exclusively in the realm of traditional mediums, using pens and pencils to produce my illustrations.
I do use such digital packages as Adobe Photoshop to tweak, refine, or adjust some of my artwork, however not to draw, this is just solely for such things as occasional colour, cropping, and digital sharing.

I really feel as if I have made a massive improvement with my art since I arrived at CCAD, which was nearly two years ago.
Some of my first illustrations that I illustrated on the course can be seen immediately below this text.



Illustrations from 2013.

Compare these older pieces with my illustrations today, which the newer pieces can be found below.



Illustrations from 2015.
As you can see there is a massive amount of improvement in my work over the past two years, and I am very happy with my progress so far.
I feel as participating in the course is one of the best things that I have ever done for my artistic studies.

I have taken a lot of inspiration from an assortment of different artists, and more recently I have taken a liking for Shaun Tan, an artist who I produced research on earlier on in the module.

A double page spread from one of Tan's books.
I really love his illustrative style, so I would like to assemble my zine with some inspiration from his style, as well as a few other artists whose style I love.

This module is also another chance for me to further adapt my skills, improve, learn new techniques, and to get a better insight into the independent commercial sector, which is something that I will be doing all the time, outside of university once I leave in 2016.

















Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment