Monday 26 January 2015

Shaun Tan - Artist research

Shaun Tan is an Australian artist and illustrator, who graduated from the university of WA in 1995, studying a joint honours degree in Fine Arts, and English Literature.

Tan is widely known for his work in the realms of science fiction, and horror, and has n the past had some of his work features in several small press zines.
Tan has illustrated a wide number of books, such as The Rabbits (seen below), Rules of Summer, and The Red tree.
https://gatheringbooks.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/rabbits.jpg < image reference at this link.
Tan has worked in the world of film, for example producing concept art for some of pixar's movies, including the award winning motion picture, WALL-E.

A concept book by Tan, that I bought in Berlin, Germany.
A double page spread from the above book, my favourite that I have come across in this particular book.
He is an artist that I have only recently found, and already I feel as if his work is inspiring me greatly.
I love his rough, and sketchy style of drawing. His work often revolves around the visual themes of the fantasy world, as well as the abstract world, and his illustrations contain a large element of usage of imagination.

One of my illustrations inspired by some of Tan's work.

I adore his very rough, and sketchy style when it comes to illustration, as it is a style that I have adored for quite a while.
I have tried to allow my own artwork to follow this sketchy style, and I do so by producing very loose lines with quick hand movements, coupling this with such traditional mediums as pen, and graphite.







References:
http://www.shauntan.net/about.html









Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment