Wednesday 28 January 2015

Size of my Zine

Now that my idea is solid, I have been thinking about the size that my zine will be.
Having a large zine will require more content, or larger illustrations, but will be more eye-catching.
Smaller zines suit my style of drawing as I like to work small, and also means that I can carry more.

http://www.newwhyweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/pile-of-zines.jpg < image reference at this link.
Most zines are between the sizes of A6-A4, and I have a preference for smaller zines/books, over larger ones, as I feel that it can be held, and transported more easily.
Due to this, I have been thinking about producing a zine that is at quite a small size, possibly in an A5 format, as I think A6 is too small, whilst A4 is too large for my preference.

For the subject of binding, I have the idea of making my zine staple bound, because I have had experience with staple binding in the past, and I remember researching different kinds of binding techniques in module 1.
I have seen a number of different zines all use the technique of staple binding, so I would like to explore using this method for my zine.

Of course I will look into binding methods later on over the course of the project.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhqdvQ4rUZbHB1KKycL5bpCS6kQS_BbvbXrKGDaQTPkwLpq9tmSKlKR7zJNCzie6oq0tuRGcdJFdG25JVKY4WtzmU_SbGpkAUDhyfsT6MTlflJkMdgTXQFqoIXmWSRaRD11PMiW-75JHtUW/s1600/brochure_printing_stables_500px.JPG < image reference at this link.
The dimensions for an A5 sheet of paper is 148 x 210mm, and I can get these dimensions by folding sheets of A4 paper, when once folded, will be of A5 size.

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/files/2009/08/FP5N6U1YP0EY95VDQ7.MEDIUM.jpg < image reference at this link.
I think it would be a good idea to have my zine in an A5 size, so I will pursue this sized zine I think.

In terms of the thickness of the zine, I want to aim at having around 20-30 pages, perhaps more depending on animals chosen, and also the time I have to develop, as I'd rather my zine be of high quality, than being filled.

I have the vision of using multiple illustrations per animal featured, in order to make the zine highly detailed, and interesting to look at.
My zine will primarily be illustration based, so this will apply emphasis on the zine.








Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment