Monday 16 February 2015

Examples of existing zines #1

Zines are often found in a lot of comic stores, and more often in small independent retail chain stores, as they tend to support local artists more than the larger chains.
An example of this can be found during my time in Berlin, in which I entered several independent illustration stores, which sold a wide selection of different zines.


Several of my classmates have recently assembled zines as part of their last studio module, which was based around commercial illustration, and notably all created zines to be sold in partnership with the Traveling Man.

Mike's zine, that he created for traveling man.
Since the market of zines is so large, I thought it would be beneficial to provide some examples of different existing zines, as a way to get a broader sense of what makes a zine.
Below are a few photos of zines that I have had a look at, and I borrowed them off Mike, who bought several different zines whilst in Berlin.






As you can see, all of these examples are quite small, and are no bigger than a4.
The majority of them are a5 in size, which seems to be a common size when it comes to zines.
I want my zine to be a5 in terms of size, which I feel is the perfect size in which to work at for the zine.

Over the course of this project, I will be looking at more additional zines, and I will update this blog post.










Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment