Thursday 5 February 2015

Ladybird books

As I have been looking at a lot of books with imagery depicting wildlife, I cannot possibly think of leaving out as great of an example as Ladybird books.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhfFuYhCGbFLs0nokolVct9lWC1CJrT2Kiz9FJkM0t7XI6kuFNPDEskWtpSdz8T8IYOS2QEt6hRet19Sn6RY4P-pwYpUaM-htePoEVyx4JyS21qiQA0_9hXcaZzuqSOYbNmLCPB79yhVOfn/s1600/ladybird-books.gif < image reference at this link.
Ladybird are known for creating cheap, good quality publications aimed at the children's market.
Each book had large, bright illustrations, and simple to understand language.

Easy to read text.
I grew up with Ladybird books, and especially the ones that revolved around the themes of nature and wildlife, such as the book below, which highlights select British wild animals.
This book is prefect to look at for the development, and creation of my wildlife zine.

A great book that I grew up with.
The beautiful illustrations in the book.
In this case, used for representing the Fox.
Ladybird are renowned for having a large selection of books, ranging on a multitude of different topics from short fables, to books on mechanics and engineering.

http://www.kissmekwik.co.uk/images/thumbs/0002378.jpeg < image reference at this link.
I believe that growing up with these books, helped to spark my interest in illustrations, as I was always drawn to the images depicted in the book, over the narrative/text.

Since my zine will aim at the children's/adult market, I should take note from some of Ladybird's publications, in order to get my balance just right.














Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment