Friday 20 February 2015

Recent taxidermy pickup

I have recently bought an item off eBay, and it is in relation to my current module revolving around the creation of an animal themed zine.
I found for sale two perfectly preserved specimens of Magpie skulls, and since they were at a reasonable price, I decided that it may help in a few of my illustrations, to have a bird skull which would allow me to study in in 3 dimensions, something that a photo doesn't currently allow me to do.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c4/Wilmer_W._Tanner_with_museum-cleaned.jpg < image reference at this link.
I want to start by saying that I am very interested in the subject of taxidermy, however I have strong feelings about the topic.
I like taxidermy, however I only like it, (or would purchase it), if it was ethically sourced, and the animal was not killed solely for the use of taxidermy.
The Magpie skulls that I have acquired, have been ethically sourced by the seller, so I felt ok about picking them up.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141566005929?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT < image reference at this link.
My Magpie skulls are very good specimens, and they are in pristine condition.
With these skulls, I can study the shape of the beak, and also the shape of the skulls top, which may allow me to illustrate birds better, particularly magpies.

Side view
Underside
These skulls offer me a chance to intimately look at the structure of the magpies head, and they are very detailed.











Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment