Monday 16 February 2015

Social media & self publicising

It is very important for an illustrator to publicise themselves, as well as advertise their skills.
Doing this can help an artist make income by attracting work, and also boost their popularity, as well as their skill level.
The good thing about choosing to self-publicise via social media, is that for the majority of services, they are often free.
There are many different ways to do this, however there is one in particular that I wish to focus on for this research blog, and that is advertising and publicising via the relatively new phenomena of social media.

My illustration based Instagram page.
I have been using social media as a means to publicise my practise for many months now, and I have multiple accounts on various sites which allows me to display my work to a mass audience.
For example, my Facebook illustration page can be seen in the image below.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tom-Williams-illustration/684712638242400 < image reference at this link.
I find that using social media as a way to self publicise, is very effective as it allows for such aspects as critical feedback, the advertisement of skills and service one may provide, (i.e commissioning), and also as a way to get your creative name out into the world.
It is also quick and easy to do, and can be enjoyable as it allows oneself to look back at past work, and offer a level of comparison between more recent work.

I am not the only one to use social media as a way to publicise my practise, there are millions of others who do exactly the same, which includes some of my personal favourite illustrators.
It is nice to see other people's creativity, as I feel that it allows for me to gather inspiration, influence, and it is also a good way to expose oneself to new styles, and techniques.

Drew Milward's Instagram page.

Kerby Rosanes' Illustration page.
I love Kerby Rosanes' work, so it is nice to see his work on a routine basis, as it provides me with new ideas for my own work, and also offers to me inspiration to produce more of my own illustrations.












Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment